Thursday, January 25, 2018

CHAPTER III

So, as I briefly alluded to in my last post, my friends and I spent the last weekend in Bruges, Belgium. It was certainly an adventure, and I think all four of us learned important traveling lessons.

Bruges is about an hour outside of Brussels. It seems to be mostly a touristy town, but since we were traveling in January – on a rainy weekend as well – it was not too busy. Bruges consists of a walkable inner city with a few main canals, windmills, a historic town square, and plenty of cafes and shops. These were all ideal for a nice weekend trip!

My first hostel experience was a good one. Although, if possible, I’d recommend arriving at a reasonable hour. Even if they allow for late check-ins, details can become unnecessarily confusing. We did get into Bruges fairly late; naturally, after midnight unknown cities can be somewhat intimidating. Luckily, a kind cab driver helped us sort through some complications! Traveling – and particularly needing help navigating new places– has been an opportunity to witness the unrequired kindness of strangers.  

The next morning in Bruges, we had a complimentary breakfast made up of mostly bread. I think bread breakfasts are now ingrained in my routine. Our first stop was a walk around the outside of the inner city to see the old gates and windmills. We were out and about before most others, so the walk was peaceful. It was also a bit drizzly which I somewhat enjoyed. The combinations of the canals, cute buildings, and cobblestone roads looked like it came from a postcard. I thought walking throughout the city was a perfect way to grasp the uniqueness of Bruges.


The rest of the day, we looked around the city squares. We also visited the Basilica of the Holy Blood and saw the Belfort Clock Tower. And, of course we snacked on some authentic Belgian Waffles.


Sunday, we had all walked to see the Minnewater Park which had a lovely pond, bridges, a path, and some benches we spontaneously decided to go to the North Sea. I figured if I was only 15 minutes and 5€ away from the sea’s shore, I might as well make it all the way there! The Knokke train station was a mile from the shore, so after a short walk, we had arrived. (Trekking through the sand in winter boots was a new experience.) The sea air and crashing waves were refreshing. It was the ideal end to our weekend.


Note to all travelers: remember your passports! And if you somehow forget, continually speaking English and showing English papers to the bus drivers who don’t understand what you’re saying may prove successful!

Random Takeaways

Learn the word “street” in the native language.


Wandering (with a map) is truly the best way to explore a new place.

No comments:

Post a Comment