Tuesday, January 31, 2023

week 3 recap

 This week recap starts with the weekend in Switzerland. I was really happy I went. The view from the kayak was amazing and I enjoyed the kayaking as well. The train rides there and back really weren't that bad although I am not the biggest fan of night trains. The worst parts of the trip was finding out that one of my favorite chocolate candies is in fact not gluten free. Truly crushing. 

The week in Bonn was fairly slow. I've been going to the gym with Peri in the morning which has been really nice. It's a very nice gym and I've missed workout out more than I realized. Other than that the week was uneventful (yay) and I have enjoyed my classes. On Friday a bunch of us in the program went out together. It's been really nice getting to know everyone better. 

On Saturday a bunch of us met up at Starbucks to get some of the physiology labs (ew, sorry matt) done. Starbucks has a padlocked bathroom?? You have to ask the barista for the code which is crazy. Bathrooms in Europe is one of the few things that I can't get behind. Like you're really going to charge people to go to the bathroom for no reason. I don't think anyone really makes a large profit off of it so it's just inconvenient. I also got a Doner box at haus of doner. It was amazing and I'm sure I'll get more. 

I spent all of Sunday with my host mom. She very clearly doesn't like my haircut because she styled my hair for me, gave me something that I could style my hair with from here on out, and offered for me to get a haircut to make my hair more of a straight rather than layered cut. I was like um ok thanks I'll let you know. Sometimes I have to remind myself that she is just old and wants to pass her wisdom onto me. Then after all that we went to a bakery and picked out some cakes to bring to her daughter and granddaughter. We spent a lot of time there. The daughter was having a playdate when we arrived. Her granddaughter has so much energy and the daughter was obviously very tired. Raising kids seems so difficult. My host mom, her daughter, and her daughter's friend spoke lots of german and would occasionally switch the conversation to english so I could participate. I didn't ever think I would feel relief when listening to American pop music through the radio but I did. When we left it felt so good to hear something familiar and understand what the songs were saying. 

I also discovered that public transportation is a gift and a curse. You can't just get in your car and leave. You have to plan your route out and sometimes that means you'll be really early. It takes the mental load off from driving everywhere but also my bus had a route at 11:36pm and again at 5:40am so a little inconvenient. 

The enmodes project so far has been very interesting. My group has a couple of ideas going so far but everything we come up with seems a little far fetched so far. I think things will come together but its still frustrating knowing that the ideas we have now will change so much over the course of the semester. 

No comments:

Post a Comment