Friday, January 20, 2023

Week 1

     The first week of Germany was an adjustment. The first day my host mom wrote down the bus stop I needed to go to and the bus stop I needed to get off on. After being on the bus for over 20 minutes I got nervous and had to show someone the piece of paper and he, although didn't speak english, was able to communicate to me that I still had a while to go on the bus. Navigation was very difficult at first because I didn't have a german sim card yet so I couldn't use maps. 

    We had a walking tour of Bonn. I really enjoyed seeing Bonn and seeing how pretty it was. I also found a food truck that served indian food that was gluten free which was nice. We also hiked up to the ruins of Drachenfels. I enjoyed the view even if the hike almost killed me. I also enjoyed hearing about the history of Drachenfels. We only had one day of class last week which was nice. The history of medicine lecture was very interesting and I had never really thought about the concept of "the other". 

    On Friday we went to Aachen. The museum tour was so interesting and I found a lot of the reliquary very interesting and beautiful. My favorite one was the one with Charlemagne's femur bone in it.  It's such a strange concept to me that people draw divine favor through the supposed divinely blessed. The Aachen Cathedral was also so beautiful. The stained glass windows and mosaics were so amazing. It is a wonder that it was built so long ago. Aachen had a really good gluten free bakery. I got a raspberry cheesecake and a quiche (they were really good and I'll go back at some point to the one in cologne). 

    On Saturday my host mom took Katherine and me to the birkenstock outlet where we both got some birkenstocks and socks. One of the hardest adjustments I've had to Germany is that I have to dress for the cold every single day. I only brought one big suitcase so I don't have that many clothes and I was a little unprepared for the cold every single day. It has rained most days which I don't mind because I like the rain but I do miss the sun a little bit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment