Friday, January 20, 2023

Week 1

 The first week here was one of the most unique experiences I have ever had in my life. Even though this is my third time visiting Europe, it is the first time I get to visit the beautiful lands of Germany. The trip to get here was good as we landed in Frankfurt, which is a city that I still have to fully explore. We then got Bonn through the bus and were picked up by my host dad Mario. He is an incredible person along with his wife Cristina. They have been more than polite with me and my other roommate Brady, who is also an exchange student who comes from Lafayette College. As I settled in what is going to be my home for the next couple of months, we began our week by having a tour around central Bonn. Here, I was able to see the beautiful city's landscapes from its downtown district to the Rhine river. It was amazing to fully explore this part of the city as it allowed me to adapt a bit more to the atmosphere and like it even more. 

The next day, I had the opportunity to visit a local bar that served traditional local beer from Bonn. The beer there was amazing as it gave me an insight into German culture at first glance. On Wednesday, we as a group all went hiking on the beautiful hill of Drachenfels, although it took us a while to get there and got pretty tired, Dr. Wasser shared information regarding the legend of that place and how much it meant for the people of Bonn as it holds a strong tradition. We also hiked all the way to the top and took some nice pictures of us and the beautiful landscape that we were able to perceive. 

As the day week went on, we went to Aachan, where we met members of the Enmodes corporation and attended their presentation that addressed the project we will participate in. This was an important meeting as we finally were told what we will be focusing on to optimize their external lung devices. After the meeting, we visited the historical museum of Charlamagne. Here, Dr. Wasser highlighted important historical factors about the medical procedures that involved the rise of the Holy Roman Empire by the leadership of Charlemagne. My first week here was amazing, I am so excited to participate in the Enmodes project and learn more about the Biomedical processes of the human body from an engineering perspective and I can't wait to visit more places like the ones we did that week!

No comments:

Post a Comment