Friday, January 27, 2023

Waiting at the Airport

 Anyone at all experienced in traveling will tell you to arrive at the airport two or three hours before your flight. This is an excellent idea because if anything goes wrong you have plenty of time to sort it out. However, if everything goes smoothly and it takes you about half an hour to check in and go through security, then you have a lot of time to kill. You could eat overpriced food at a loud and cramped food-joint, shop for duty free merchandise, or just wander around until your flight is boarding. 

I have chosen to spend my time writing this and watching the Hobbit (part 1). I did walk all the way around the airport, at Austin that doesn't take very long, but I didn't bother buying food since I'll get dinner on the flight. The only point of concern is that I can't seem to find my flight on the departures board. There is a flight to London listed at the correct time but incorrect flight number and airline. I did find the gate that shows the right information so I'm not too worried.

The plan is to fly to London Heathrow tonight; arriving midmorning on Saturday. From there I'll check in at the airport hotel, drop off my bags, and go to meet my aunt and uncle who live in the city. I'll spend the afternoon with them and get back to the hotel early because my flight from London to Frankfurt leaves at ten past seven the next morning. This unfortunately means that I will have to arrive at the airport at about four thirty. Combined with jet lag from the previous day that is sure to be excruciating. On the plus side I know a great breakfast spot in London airport called the Giraffe. My family has been there a few times and the food is always great and it is usually pretty fast as well. 

Then all I need to do is find the bus at the airport in Frankfurt and the real adventure begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment