Friday, January 20, 2023

woche eins schlecht

 There are a few things about Germany that I have come across that I don't particularly agree with and or enjoy. This is a terribly informal quick list of my opinions about Germany and could quickly and easily change before the end of this trip. The first is in German tax documents you must declare religion and you can be taxed based on your response. Lutheran or Catholic declared citizens pay a tax that is considerable for a low-mid classes household, this tax unfortunately as I have been informed by the community stays at the top and doesn't really improve local churches in particular they would just contribute to the millions of dollars it takes to upkeep the Dom for instance. This is tax for some discourages people to be members in a church and I feel like this is a violation to what I have back in America, separation of church and state.

The second thing is a mass fear of global warming. Now this post is not a debate on the issue only an observation of what I have seen Germany doing. Germans are more aware than anyone in Texas about environmental pollutants, in the sample size I have talked to there are a lot of vegetarian/vegans, most recycle quite religiously, as well as, decrease consumption of energy through the conservation of water and electricity in their household, and there are others who will even give up driving cars. As noble as this act is, its quite counter to American consumerism. I don't love being self aware of my carbon footprint its quite frankly annoying to think about, but maybe this is the culture shock I didn't know I needed in order to be a better citizen of the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment