Sunday, January 1, 2023

Prospective Post

I have been putting off writing this post because I have not fully processed that I will be staying in Germany for 4 months.  I know this will not compare to living 5 hours away from home. During the winter break, I informed several family members about the trip, and they were all very excited for me and stated their expectations for me to learn German fluently. I wish. 

One of my biggest concerns is the culture shock that we will experience. I notice and understand the cultural differences between Americans and Mexicans, but we live on the same continent, and I can speak both languages. When it comes to Germany, I have never visited, I don't know anyone from Germany, and I have never spoken the language. I know that culture shock is much more than that, but I just wish I could at least communicate properly. That being said, I am excited to learn everything I can while aboard. I am also very excited to create special bonds with the people on this trip and my host family. 

On a lighter note, as the day to board the plane gets closer, I discover additional things to worry about. Right now, it's packing. I don't want to overpack, but I am definitely worried that I might underpack and be unprepared. I still have plans to hang out with friends this week, so I will probably have to do laundry the day before leaving, so forgetting something I really want will probably be another concern. A concern for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment