Sunday, January 22, 2023

Week 2: First trip away

    At the end of week two, I feel as if I've started to settle into life here in Bonn. There are still new things I learn everyday, of course, but it isn't as daunting as the first week here. I'm able to navigate the transportation system a lot more readily since I know what to look for. I did, however, have to learn the hard way that the last train from Rheinbach at night is not in service even though it might show up as scheduled. I got on this train with several people and somehow missed everyone getting off before it left the station. Long story short, I got stuck on this train with the conductor that didn't speak English until we went back to Bonn Hauptbahnhof to have that train connected to another one. Not my finest moment let me tell you. Mistakes aside, I had a good first week of classes and thoroughly enjoyed our study trip to Cologne. The cathedral was stunning and it was difficult to wrap my head around the fact that it took over 600 years to complete. 

    I also took my first weekend trip to Interlaken, Switzerland with a group of us. Matt, Erin, and I had an incredible experience kayaking on Brienzersee lake and pausing to hike up to a castle that was on the cliff face. Sure it was cold, but the view more than made up for it. The water was a clear, aquamarine color and the clouds held off just long enough for us to allow us to see the Swiss Alps while we crossed the lake. Snow was falling softly as we kayaked back to the beach and really picked up after we went to wait at the bus stop. Switzerland was an beautiful country and I would relish the chance to return to it some time during the summer one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment