Friday, January 20, 2023

Week 2!

 Week number two has been just as fun as week one was, albeit a bit smoother. I have settled in a bit more to domestic life, and we have been in Bonn every day but one this week, which has allowed me to become familiar with the city's layout and the structure of my typical day. For this week's blog, I'm going to focus on two things: our study trip to Köln and my early observances/takeaway about German life compared to life back in the States.

On Wednesday this week, our group embarked on a study trip to Köln, which is about a 30 minute train ride north of Bonn. When I walked out of the Hauptbahnhof in Köln, I was greeted by Germany's most visited landmark, the 515 ft. tall Cologne Cathedral. Words cannot possibly put into scale how magnificent this church is. For reference, I was unable to fit the entire structure within my camera lens from the plaza outside the entrance. It is the third tallest church of any kind in the world, and it's a human wonder that such a house of worship was constructed largely during the Middle Ages.  While in Köln, we also were led on an excellent tour of the city, ate at a nice restaurant for lunch (paid for!), and toured the only remaining fully intact Gestapo headquarters. Our tour guide was excellent, but there was certainly a solemn and eerie feeling when walking through the underground prison cells. Original drawings and messages were kept intact from the final years of the war, with many different European languages represented amongst the hundreds that spent many long days and nights in captivity. After the mandated portion of the day's events finished, we finished the night in Köln by eating dinner at Früh with friends. Overall, Köln is an impressively beautiful and historic city which understandably holds a special place in the hearts of many Germans, including my host mom. 

Germans certainly live their lives at at a different speed than Americans, but I agree with the common notion that Germany is one of the closest European equivalents to life back in the States. Just to touch on a few of the differences: Due to the unfortunate energy crisis throughout continental Europe, electricity is managed heavily. For example, my house is pitch black 24/7, except if the light is in use. I basically have to walk throughout the house with my phone flashlight to use the bathroom upstairs to avoid stubbing my toe. Many people here are switching to Vegan dieting, especially those in my generation. The Rhineland is home to some incredible local meat selections to choose from in schnitzel, döner, and currywurst, among many others. Water is often more expensive than beer and public bathrooms are not always free, which aligns with what I experienced in Denmark and Norway this past summer. There are dozens and dozens of bakeries in town; at any point in the city center there are probably at least 2 in your line of sight. The washing machines' heat setting is usually above 100 degrees Fahrenheit, and it is very common for households to not own a dryer. The locals usually speak pretty good English, and they are very patient with my (very poor) German. Stores are open for fewer hours than in the States, which allows for more rest throughout the week instead of seemingly nonstop commercialization in the states. Of course I don't agree with every difference in European lifestyle from our life back home, it has certainly provided perspective in my life that I have not previously had.


Colby Wilkens

No comments:

Post a Comment