Monday, January 30, 2023

Week 3 (23/01-29/01)

Dr. Wasser truly is a stream of knowledge, and it impresses me how much he knows about several topics. His History of Medicine lectures are aimed towards deep rooted medical history and why those were fundamental for the evolution of medicine. This class is definitely my favorite one.

Adjusting to a different lifestyle has not been too hard, but fitting in is a different story. Even when I try to order food in German, they immediately know to respond in English. A few people tend to stare when they can hear your American accent (or mediocre German). Nonetheless, I have had many pleasant experiences so far, so I cannot complain.

Some days seem to end in a split second while others seem to be ever-lasting. I guess I can classify them as such: the good days and the bad days. The good days consist of getting enough sleep, spending time with friends here, and being productive. The bad days consist of missing my family/friends back home, lacking motivation for homework, and being home for too long. 

I absolutely adore my host family, but my limited German vocabulary causes me to feel excluded when they communicate with each other. I think that speaking Spanish here helps me deal with that as well as when I miss my family. Why can’t America implement a school plan similar to theirs (children start to learn two languages at a very young age) ?

Other than Tai chi, my highlights of this week were going out together Friday night, wine night Saturday night, and a zoom presentation Sunday night. Also, my host mum gave me a house key, so no more being stuck outside in the cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment