Thursday, January 19, 2023

Week 1 & 2

 My first week in Germany was pretty interesting. Overall, there was a lot more culture shock than I expected. The things that have stood out to me are mostly the trash and the amount of effort put into energy conservation. I think there are at least 6 different categories the trash can be sorted into and they *actually* recycle it (not like how on campus there are bins that say recycle but in reality go to the same bin as regular trash). Another thing I found interesting is how most households do not have a dryer and if they do, they just don't use it. My mom told me to only use the drying machine if its an emergency and I need something dried really quick. Living in someone else's house has really pushed me to grow. I've tried so many new foods that I've lost track of how many. Thankfully, I am getting along with my host mom really well and I look forward to coming home to talk to her. 

In regards to school, things have been going fairly well. I am a morning person so its weird to not have class until the late morning. The classes are also 75 minutes which seems a lot longer than the 50 minute classes I am used to taking. Despite this, I am still enjoying having less people in class and being here in general. Specifically, I am excited to work with Enmodes. I think this project will be an amazing learning opportunity for me as well as getting used to working with people that have different backgrounds than me. 

This weekend will be our first trip out of the country. I'm going to Switzerland with about half of the group (and yes, I am not mentally prepared for how cold it is going to be). The trip has been mostly planned by mamma duck matt and it has been interesting to let someone else do the planning. My sister and cousin are coming over here for spring break and I have been heavily involved in the planning for that trip. The train ride is really long to get there but I know I'll have fun once we're there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment