Sunday, January 29, 2023

Week 3- Change of Pace

 Week 3 has come and gone, and while it certainly won't go down as one of the most notable weeks of this semester abroad in terms of Kodak moments, it has certainly served its purpose. After a lovely trip to Interlaken, Switzerland this past weekend, I spent this week resting and recuperating. School is now fully in the swing of things- I've enjoyed my classes so far this semester, especially the flexibility that taking a reasonable courseload brings. I've already learned a lot about myself in these three weeks abroad:

- Burdening myself with my school schedule cost me significant growth and time, especially in relationships, last fall. Now that I see the other side of the spectrum, my priorities have been significantly realigned, even if my life course ever so slightly alters.

- Substituting busyness, even physical wellbeing, for quiet time is the perpetual temptation that will continually leave me weaker, unfilled, and exhausted.

- Time spent walking, waiting, and riding (trams) is some of the most valuable time of each day- I just have to prioritize it as such

- I miss College Station & my people even more than anticipated.

- I am weakest when I am busiest and/or past the point of exhaustion. I'm getting better, but these are the moments in which I must cling to the cross and the heart of the gospel. It's not always the easiest option, but love is always the answer.

- Taking photos & journaling >>>

- Different worldviews exist for a reason. Too often, we allow ourselves to dismiss the beliefs and actions of others without first placing ourselves in a position to truly feel empathy towards the person or people. Comfort, while having its purpose, hinders greater understanding. Far too often, I find myself asking "what" instead of "why".

- Sabbath exists for a reason- I am revitalized when I spend my days in worship, in the Word, and in reflection. My life's rhythm is derailed without proper Sabbath.

As I look forward to another week spent entirely within Bonn, I anticipate, or at the very least, hope, that this week will look a little bit more structured and rooted on my end. These are some of the very best days of my life- what an incredible setting to wake up to every day. May I not lose this perspective, that I will one day look back on these days as such.


Colby Wilkens

01/29/23



No comments:

Post a Comment