Monday, January 23, 2023

Week 2!!!

This week was very fun and actually included some studying. To start, Monday was a typical day of class with a fun German lesson where we learned how to conjugate some verbs. Tuesday, we had class at 10:15 but it ended up being canceled so instead we booked our trip to Brussels this weekend. Next, we had BMEN 400, lunch, and then Dr. Wasser gave us a historical walking tour of Bonn in the afternoon which was very interesting. Then I headed back to the AiB for my first MATH 308 lecture that I watch live from College Station. After, Peyton and I headed home. On Wednesday, we had a study trip to Köln. We left at 9:45 and headed to the main station, which is right next to the cathedral (the 2nd tallest in the world). The cathedral was absolutely stunning. We had a walking tour of Köln to learn about its history. Next, we had a group lunch at a Brauhaus where we were allowed to try Kölsch (Köln's local beer). Next, we headed to a tour of the old Gestapo Headquarters (DE-EL Haus). It was truly terrifying and eye-opening. After we were free to do whatever we wanted so Peyton and I went to the gluten-free bakery and then headed back to Siegburg. Thursday I woke up and I was SO. DIZZY> I do not know what happened but my vertigo was awful. This morning, it was snowing and our neighborhood looked so pretty, however, ice + my dizziness lead me to fall on my way to the tram station... unfortunate. Luckily Peyton walked me everywhere. I had 3 classes, and after Peyton and I went to MediaMarkt to get another charger. We had a weird encounter with an American man (he recognized our American English). It was a good reminder that we need to always look out for each other and be aware of our surroundings, especially being in a foreign country. Then after we headed to our tram, and right when we got to the doors, they would not open and the people inside were trying to open the doors but they never opened, so we watched our tram leave. Sad. But it's okay, we caught the next one 10 minutes later. Friday was a pretty easy day, I had 2 classes but one of them was only 20 minutes long. After, I did some schoolwork at AiB and then met up with Peyton, Victoria, and Kassy at CraftBier. Next, we went to Hollister (I did not bring enough clothes) and I got 1 pair of jeans and 2 sweaters. After, we went to Burgermanufaktur and got some amazing burgers and fries. Then we headed home to pack and sleep before we left for Brussels. I woke up at 5:15 on Saturday, and Peyton and I got on the tram at 6:30 to head to Köln. Once we arrived at Köln Hbf, we got on our ICE train to Brussels at 7:42. The train was super nice and the views along the way were amazing. Although somewhere in Brussels, they had to tell everyone to get off and board another train because the one we were on had "technical issues". We then made it to Brussels-Midi station and took an Uber to our hotel. Our Uber driver was so nice and he knew Italian so since we know some Spanish, we were able to communicate. At the hotel, we dropped off our bags and then headed inward to the city. We took public transportation which was busier than Bonn’s. We went to brunch which was so good and then walked around Brussels. We met some other students who are studying abroad in Germany which was super random but fun. I loved Brussels, very fun city with lots to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment