Thursday, February 7, 2019

Where did the week go? To Madrid!

This is right about the time that things are going to get crazy! Lots of travel coming up, lots of planning, and lots of spending to be done...

The week started at the Preview, which ended up being Can You Ever Forgive Me? with Melissa McCarthy, and although I don't typically like her movies, I would recommend this one. It was entertaining, although it went exactly as you expected - with no crazy plots twists or big endings, etc. Still, it was worth a night out. I definitely think I'll go back to the Preview a few times. I liked the suspense of not knowing what movie it will be, and it also allowed me to watch something that I otherwise would have judged not worth seeing because of who was in it.

Nothing out of the ordinary for classes this week, except that we experienced a LOT of snow on Wednesday night, making it difficult to get to class on Thursday morning. The buses weren't even running in my part of the neighborhood, so it took well over two hours to get to school while waiting and figuring out the public transportation situation. Looking back, I probably could have walked to school quicker - it's only about 5 miles. But hey, now I know.

Program related things... I am finally all caught up in Genetics and I am not too worried about the exam coming up. It's pretty much been a slight breeze with classes this semester - taking only 12 hours for the final semester (and for the first time ever in a regular semester), has been sooooo freaking nice. I actually have the time to learn these things! We also had a museum excursion to one of a very few anesthesiology museums in the world. We saw super cool things, including an iron lung, some dried human plasma, and some of the instruments and techniques that revolutionized the history of medicine.

This is about the time where I think I'm going to really start missing home. With it being a year since we got the puppy and 3 years since Krys and I met, I'm really starting to miss my boys. But Krys will be here in only 4 weeks so I have that to look forward to! And I also have to plan all that... yikes. Let's not think about all that hard work and money to spend. Although, I decided that I'm gonna file my taxes this week and get that refund started before the government shuts back down... gotta get that extra dough for all these travel bills!

Speaking of travel, the weekend marked the start of 10 straight days of travel. Beginning in Madrid for vacation, then a 4 day program excursion to Vienna next week, followed by a weekend in Budapest! ...and then back to a packed week of school with a Genetics test squeezed in somewhere. But lets focus on the fun! Madrid was so cool and vibrant! We had a mostly relaxed first day of travel, so we decided to go out for some fun on the Gran Via. That fun definitely lasted well into the next day, if you know what I mean. Regardless, we still go to see several museums the first two days: namely the Reina Sofia & the Prado. The Reina Sofia was a lot more contemporary than I had expected, and the Prado had a lot of gorgeous Spanish national art. Sunday was packed FULL of fun things with a delicious brunch (some of the best food I've had on the trip so far), then the weekly market where I got a pretty scarf for only 3 euro, Buen Retiro Park - basically Central Park of Madrid - which had museums and a place called The Crystal Palace inside, then the Spanish Royal Palace, the Temple of Debod where we watched a beautiful sunset over the city, and finally a Real Madrid match - my favorite player was coincidentally number 19 (A-WHOOP!) aka Alvaro Odriozola - he was really taking risks out there, and I was definitely impressed!

As the title implies, I am so taken aback by how fast this trip is going. Essentially, there are only about 3 free weekends left without official plans... and then I'll be back in College Station, graduated, and thrown out into the world. If that world is anything like this one, I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment