Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Snow!

This past week was filled with many exciting things including, you guessed it, snow!!! At first, I thought it would just be a small flurry. But, fortunately, I was wrong. As class continued on Wednesday, the snow just kept falling. During breaks and after class, we had snow ball fights and took pictures in this beautiful snow! We also built two snowman. Our first one was about 2 feet tall. But, by the end of the day we were professional snowman builders and built a snowman that was seven feet tall!


The next day we traveled up the hill to the Bonn Medical school. On the school's campus, we visited an anesthesiology museum. There I got to see many devices and books that make up the history of this amazing field. Dr. Wasser told us how many people used to think that pain was an important part of the healing process and how many operations were down with no anesthesia. I am so grateful we now have anesthesia. However, I am not going to lie, looking at epidural needles that were over 5 inches long made me a bit uncomfortable.


The week ended for me on Saturday with a hike in the hills surrounding Bonn. There I saw many kids sledding down hills as I tried not to slip on the path covered in the melting snow. At the end of the trail were the ruins of a castle shrouded in the midst that surrounded Bonn. In this mystical fog and snow, I felt like if I just walked a bit further, I would stumble into the past. It was a beautiful wintery end to my first (and likely only) snow week in Bonn.

No comments:

Post a Comment