Wednesday, February 20, 2019

0-100

Week 5 Post



Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself- Leo Tolsoy

What I would do to go back to the time before I knew these words. It feels like it was a different era of my life. Perhaps it was (an era is defined as a fixed point in time from which a series of years is reckoned). You see, this week everything changed in my host-household, in my relationship with Ina and the boys, and in my stomach. Before this week, tensions had been quite high because I was always a "hungry hippo." The occasional run along a large european river or weight training workout at B9 Fitness drains my energy reserves and so I always eat everything Ina has. How can one be successful if one is always hungry? The problem is that it's oftentimes not enough. So, I did what any other rational student would do: I sabotaged Ina so she would cook for me more. 

I'm just kidding, that's not something I would do. What I did was act like Leo Tolsoy likely would...cue Drake's The Catch Up.

 By the end of the week, the following events occured:


  • Diligently focused in my room, I hear the faintest disturbing noise. Usually, I block these subtle distractions out so I can stay zoned in. However, this was beyond peculiar and something in me told me to investigate it. I removed my earbuds and walk towards the door. "What the hell is going on" (no one ever knocks on the doors at this house). I open the door and see Ina- yes, Ina- holding a large, cold glass filled with a mixed berry smoothie. She made it for me. How nice of her, right?

  • On Samstag (Saturday), Ina and I went to two grocery stores. You can see the results from one of them below:

    Image 1- Shopping Cart from grocery store trip with Ina.
  • On Sonntag (Sunday)- I accompanied Ina to another Bundesliga match and ate Currywurst and sipped on Gluwein. She later made me another smoothie that night.

I was hungry, but now I feast- Sebastian Melo

This week, I truly lived and learned the importance of being the change you wish to see in the world. I am beyond glad to have done this. Also, I am very appreciative of Ina for being so open to change and showing an extreme level of compassion and understanding. 

Finally, my learning this week was not limited to personal and interpersonal changes, I learned a great deal in school. Our physiology class proceeded in the neurophysiology unit and I was able to use my neuroscience background to further immerse in the course material. It's a wonderful feeling when the dots connect. Our first exam is next week so everyone has begun to really buckle down and focus on studying. Enmodes is still the main stressor on my plate. It is the area of focus where I have the least knowledge and therefore the most room to improve. I am excited to see how our presentations go and which teams we will be placed in. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment