Monday, February 4, 2019

Hitchhiker’s guide to conquering Rome in 3 days

Can you think of a better way to spend your 22 birthday than in Rome? Our trip to the Italian capital was the most amazingly stressful trip I’ve been on. I’ve always wanted to go to Rome as I am super into Greek mythology and have learned some about Roman. I wanted to see all the ruins and imagine what it was like 1500-2000 years ago. We followed an itinerary for what to do but it did not work out the way it was supposed to, it was quite a mess. I was disappointed when we looked for our hostel, Rome was not the beautiful city I expected. We even checked into a laundry mat which was sketch but they gave me a bottle of wine because it was my birthday. The place didn’t have bed bugs either, and overall I think it was nice. My viewpoint on Rome gradually changed over the weekend until I left loving it. The last day the sun was out a bit too which was nice since it rained the whole time. I was sad to leave the amazing city but grateful to be back in Germany without being pick pocketed. 
The colosseum was the first thing we saw then St. Peter’s Basilica, which I enjoyed way more than I thought I would. To be able to walk where romans used walk was something I couldn’t wrap my head around. I’ve never really thought about visiting the Vatican but it was beautiful and the museum was breathtaking; I do have Christians to thank for preserving much of Rome in remembrance of those persecuted. There was so much history to get to we missed a lot but honestly hit the major points and more. While having lunch and exploring the trestavere, we walked by island on the Tiber with the hospital famous for obstetrics before heading to the Roman forum just to find out it had closed already. Thus after a night of dancing, Marcus and I had birthdays on feb 2, we got up at 7:30 to see the Roman forum, which I cried happy tears walking through it, and palatine hill before meeting up with everyone else at the Trevi Fountain. It was so big and beautiful! I was not expecting to be so blown away. After a photo shoot I got roasted chestnuts which were quite meaty but apparently a must there. We headed to piazza novana then the Spanish steps, getting gelato in between. It was good but old bridge gelato near the Vatican was the best gelato I had. Before heading to our flight, a hero’s journey in and of itself, we saw the St. Priscilla catacombs. After a very stressful and exhausting time we made it to our flight and made it home safely. The walk from the tram was long but after a hot shower I was so ready for bed. My legs and back were in so much pain and unfortunately I woke up with a cold but seeing what we did in Rome it was all worth it. I missed a few things I wanted to see and I can’t wait to go back!






No comments:

Post a Comment