Thursday, February 28, 2019

Surgery, Fußball, and Studying

What a crazy week this was. It was probably the busiest and most stressful week of the semester so far. I had a test in what is definitely my hardest class, circuits. I spent almost all of my time working on that this week. But on Wednesday, as a class we visited the Uniklinik Bonn, the medical school/hospital in Bonn. It's been a while since I've been in a hospital, and I got to look at it from a completely different perspective. We changed into our scrubs, put on a cap and mask, and I entered an orthopaedic surgery theater. There I got a front row view of a hip femoral reconstruction for the next 4 hours, learning from the surgeon and particularly the anesthesiologist about what the science that goes into surgery. It was really great and it was a good break from class for a bit.

On Friday and Saturday after my circuits test, I got the chance to relax a little bit after being stressed for so long. Friday evening I went to the Siebengebirge and visited Schloss Drachenburg, a 19th century castle that had an amazing light display for the holiday season. Everywhere I looked there was something exciting to look at and it was nice to get a little away from the city and relax a little.


Saturday I went with a group to Cologne to watch one of FC Köln's football matches. The crowd was lively, and it was a good match, with Köln winning 3-1. One thing that I noticed that was different compared to American sports events is that the food/drink was not exorbitantly expensive, which was very nice. After this I had to get right back to studying, as I had a physiology exam to study for next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment