Thursday, February 14, 2019

Week 4 pt. 1: Tired? Vien-Nah

I’m going to try to make this as short as possible. Which is going to be reeeeally hard given that this was the longest and most exciting week I’ve had so far. I thought I was tired after Rome? Ha. That’s funny. 

First off, the class work I was stressed about in the last blog ended up just fine. Through some prioritization and actually-being-awake-while-working-on-253, I managed to get everything done just in time for each due date. As in, minute before the due date most times. The stress was real. 

The next morning at around 4AM, a taxi came to our house and took us to the bus stop we were dropped at when we first came to the AIB. In the taxi was everyone in Bornheim/Hersel so Melania, Yoong, Ryan, and me. We were the first to get to the bus stop but, after a few minutes, others started getting dropped off. One thing to note is that I am not good and packing. Or remembering that I’m not good at it. So, I ended up staying up all night to pack. The benefit of that was that I was much more awake and aware than anyone else in the car. But once I fell asleep, it was a deep sleep. That flight could’ve been 2 hours. It could’ve been 20 minutes. I got to my seat and almost immediately slumped over. 

So, we land in Vienna, get to our hotel, and Marcus, Josh, and I sort out who gets a room key (by the end, we each had our own room key but we only started with one). We went and got a really good breakfast at a cafe nearby. It was a 3 egg fried egg with ham cooked in, 2-3 rolls of bread each, butter, and a cup of tea. All for fairly cheap. It was filling and delicious and was a good beginning to the trip. 

My memory is kind of failing (I’m writing this late sorry) so I’ll write highlights of what I remember. The breakfast at the hotel every morning was quite nice. A fair selection of tasty treats. Croissants, rolls, Nutella, egg, meats, and more. 

I need to either find a way to enjoy churches more or get used to being bored. Wait no. Swap “churches” for “sightseeing in general” and it’s more accurate. Churches are just a little harder because, while the painted glass and sculptures are nice when you first see them, there isn’t much “new” about them. And I’m all about novelty. 

One of the days in Vienna, I decided to go for a walk because... I didn’t really have much else to do. Pretty boring day after a lot of homework. Initially, it was supposed to be a quick, 5 min max walk. I got a few minutes in a decided “I know how to get back from here.” So I turned and kept going. And I kept doing that. Eventually I figured I was fairly lost. So obviously, I kept going. As one does. I just took in the city. Looked at the stores, the people, listened to the noises of the night. It was peaceful. A nice little time. At a certain point, the trance broke and I remembered I was supposed to have a short walk to meet with someone back at the hotel. I went to a nearby restaurant and, after some misunderstanding, got WiFi and managed to find my way back (even with that, I accidentally got lost a couple times on the way back. Pretty typical for me.) I don’t remember what the plan was after that but I’m guessing nothing happened. It was a nice walk though. 

With the program, we went to the Freudhaus one day. It was pretty cool and was one of the better “museum” type things I’d been in. Probably because I’m a fan of psychology and already know about some of Freud’s... eccentric ideas. What a guy he was. 

We also had a tour around the city with a very... familiar sounding plague doctor. He showed us various sights, explaining their medical significance, and gave us some of the variety of “cures” employed by his fellow plague doctors back when they were all the rage. Stuff like vinegar and cloves. Just delicious*.

My favorite museum, to no ones surprise I assume, was probably the goulash museum. It was essential a restaurant with the largest variety of goulash I’d ever seen. At least, it seemed pretty large compared the 0 I’d seen before. Before we got there, they mentioned the existence of horse goulash. Now, one thing I enjoy is trying new things. Especially new food. And horse is not something I’d eaten before. So, when we got there, I had to get it. I didn’t have a choice. I was mentally and physically obligated. And it turned out pretty well. I also shared a bottle of wine with Katarina and Yoong. If you know “much” they drink (read: very little), you can guess that I had a... fair quantity. I tried sharing the bottle with Joshua but he was already roped into another 3 person group by the time I had Dr. Wasser finished telling us to get wine in groups. So, I can only assume the goulash tasted great. I’d already had enough wine that everything tasted good. Good times...

At this point, this post is long enough that I’m going to end this here and write a different one for Prague. Maybe I’ll see you there. Or... be read by you. Am I the words on the page? I’m not sure how this works. I should probably cut this part out of the post but nah. 

One of these days I’ll write a concise, non-rambling post. Today is not that day. 




*not actually delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment