Monday, February 4, 2019

Week 3

Preface:

I think everyone has felt, or at least understands, the bittersweet relief of returning home after having been away for a long or eventful experience. For me, this feeling is always the strongest when all is done and I have time to reflect on what I had just gone through while traveling back. Returning from my first venture into Europe was no different except in one fundamental and ultimately elucidating way. As I boarded the plane that would bring me back to Cologne, I felt the familiar set of feelings described above. However there was one unmistakable difference. Even though Bonn has served as my home for the last three weeks, and will continue to do so for the next three months, I felt as if I was returning not to my home, but simply to a place slightly less alien to me than the rest of the continent. I've generally found it hard to pinpoint what exactly "home" has meant to me. I know now that I simply needed the inability to return home, and another "home" with which to compare, to shine light on what home actually means. Home is not a place or a location, home is a feeling, and while I may return a new or different person, that feeling will remain the same. I have much left to do here in Europe, but it brings me comfort having stumbled into this insight.

Jan. 30: Snow day Pt. 1



 



While the people of Bonn mostly walked by doing little more than acknowledging the winter wonderland that had formed in front of them, we wasted little time making the most of what was, for many of us, our first or second experience with real snow. Snow angels, fights, and men were the highlights of the day.

Jan. 31: Snow day Pt. 2


Backyard as seen from decked balcony.

Backyard of AIB (Host University)

Ok...maybe this was the winter wonderland...

Feb. 1: Madrid Day 1
View from takeoff in Germany.
View of Spanish countryside before landing

My first group venture into Europe began in Madrid, the central capitol of Spain. The views from the plane window were break taking. From verdant pastures pocked with orange-roofed villas in the countryside to the snow capped ruffles that wove through the central and Iberian mountain chains, there was never a dull moment from takeoff to landing. I only wish I was able to capture more of the views.




After landing, we proceeded to spend three to four hours clumsily navigating Spain's public transportation system, finally (and as some of us said miraculously) coming to our hotel. Even though we were all very tired at this point, we decided to make the most of every second we had. After a great first dinner, we headed into town to visit the Museo Reina Sofia modern art museum. While I have not generally considered myself much for art museums, many of the pieces on display captured my attention, an I found myself thoroughly enjoying the seemingly endless halls and floors that we raced through before closing time. We stretched our time as much as we could, but ultimately we were kicked out for good.

Feb. 2: Madrid Day 2

San Jerónimo el Real

Puerta de Alcalá







The main attraction of day 2 was the Museo del Prado which serves as the national Spanish art museum. While I described the art museum of day one as endless, it was the size of a flea market art both in comparison. Three hours barely let us scratch the surface as one would need the full time that the museum is open in a day just to see all that they offer. The only picture that we were able to get was of the famous self portrait of Albrecht Durer. (Lets just say their no picture policy was well enforced). 

Paella with tapas platter at Chiquita Resturante



The time had finally come. After a long day of walking and art, it was finally time to dive into a Spanish cena (dinner). We dined on paella (traditional Spanish rice dish) and a mix of traditional Spanish Tapas (kind of like appetizers or snacks). 

Feb. 3: Madrid Day 3


Our last day in Madrid was the most eventful day of the long weekend. We started our day off with Spanish coffee, zumo (juice), pastries, parfaits, and breakfast sandwiches. We then folded into the vast and expansive "el rastro" street market. Rows upon rows of booths selling art, records, cloths, electronics and everything in between went on for as far as the eye could see. There were also many street musicians lining the outer edges of the market, many of whom were excellent players. 

Picture with Dixie Jazz street musicians.
We finished out the day with a walk though the famous Parque del Buen Retiro, Temple of Debod, Spanish royal castle, and the end the week right, a futbol game in the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium.


 
 
 
 


All in all, a perfect first trip in Europe. I was able to finally put all those years of Spanish to good use and interact with and learn from the locals in their native tongue. I look forward to the many trips to come. 

Academic Review:

Class material is coming fast and hot. I found myself staying up to at least one in the morning every night just to give myself a chance to finish all the work that was due today. While I still had to work a little while in Madrid, I was able to fully balance work with travel. However I have learned very quickly that that balance will not come easy. 

Today (Feb. 4) was our first informal presentation with respect to working for the biotechnology company Enmodes. While I am not sure what I am at liberty to say about the work we are doing, I do feel that the hours of research I put into putting today's presentation together paid off. 

Till next,
Sean S.


No comments:

Post a Comment