Saturday, February 9, 2019

Vienna: A conflicting place

This week (fourth) we had school in Vienna, which was a conflicting place for me. Filled with history and beauty, it was an amazing city to visit. Unfortunately I started the trip super sick and spent our free half day sleeping instead of exploring. While the buildings were beautiful and the streets clean, the lack of green made it feel like a monotone concrete landscape; hardly any grass anywhere. Also there were horse drawn carriages everywhere and we even got to see the Spanish Horse Riding School's practice!..a few days after we were taken to a restaurant famous for its horse goulash, a Viennese specialty. Despite my conflicting emotions, I really enjoyed going to Vienna. I was exhausted but we learned a lot and got to see a lot of places. That first day was rough since I couldn't sleep through my head and body aches the night before. Thankfully Dr. Schnabel protected us from the plague or else I would've been a goner. The catacombs at Michaelerkirche was the third time I've been underground on a trip, it's become a thing. The mines in Maastricht, catacombs in Rome, and now the catacombs in Vienna. They're all unique and I'm delighted to know that my claustrophobia doesn't stop me from enjoying them! We had a full day Thursday and even had a lecture in the Freud house (how cool!) The concert was beautiful and took me back to when I played in concert band. Afterwards, since we were already dressed up, we ate at a nice restaurant and went out afterwards. The sky top bars in Vienna have wonderful sights even at night. Friday was one of my favorite days because we got to see the horses practice and see the natural history museum, one of my Lieblingsmuseum. After a long week of studying abroad, drinking Viennese coffee where great minds sat, spending too much on specialty cakes, and making memories with great friends, I was off to Prague!






No comments:

Post a Comment