Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Back to Reality

This week I think served as a nice reality check of why I am really here. From being in 4 countries last week, to staying in doors for 90% of the day, I remembered that I am not here on vacation, but I am on a STUDY abroad.

Academically, this week was definitely the most challenging and exhausting. Every day I was caged inside the AIB library working on my Circuits and Signals homework until at least 19:30, and when I got home, I had to keep working on it. What was the most frustrating was not the work load itself, but not fully understanding the material and having to watch hours worth of YouTube videos. On top of all the engineering homework, we also had our first official enmodes presentation coming up, meaning I also was tasked with having to do tons of research to figure out the problems. The enmodes part was not too bad, since it is way more interesting to research about something that affects actual people and something that has an actual effect on the world, whereas circuits and signals deals with mostly electrical engineering (which I don't quite enjoy).

Even though this week was exhausting, it was almost the most beautiful weather Bonn has had. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, temperatures reached the 60s and there was not a cloud on the sky. Not only us Texans enjoyed this weather, but all of Bonn seemed to come to life. People were out on the park with their dogs and their families and gelato places started opening. On Saturday I decided to take a break from the AIB prison and spend a couple minutes in the Hofgarten. It was as if all the people in Bonn that were hiding in their houses had finally come out. The parks were full and the Bonn markt was popping. We had some Starbucks and then some ice cream to match everyone. But after 15 minutes, I had to go back to the cold, dark library and keep on studying.

Unfortunately (but also cleverly), I had not planned any trips for the weekend because I knew how busy my week would be, but it was refreshing to be able to stay in my host home for a weekend and explore more of the beautiful Bonn I am living in.


No comments:

Post a Comment