Monday, February 18, 2019

Week 5

Preface:

It seems as though each week, this program becomes more study and less abroad. If I am being honest, it's kind of a relief. I'm finding that my ability to enjoy traveling has a drop off point of about a week of travel before I'm longing to be back in my bed in Bonn.

Feb. 15: Schloss Drachenburg






One of the many strange rooms within the Castle







View of Bonn at 1000 ft

Each year, artist Wolfgang Flammersfeld brings his very unique sense of light and color to the the Schloss Drachenburg, a 19th century villa-palace construction sitting atop the Drachenfels hill. During the day, the castle looks like any other, but by the night, every structure on the grounds of the villa come alive with light, sculpture, and sound. While the outside of the castle presents a unified idea of a spectrum of color, each room within the castle seemed to try its hardest to be distinguished from all others. While certainty avant garde in presentation, the Schloss Drachenburg turned out to be an experience that I am very glad I did not miss out on.

Feb. 16: A Day in Cologne



Ratatouille at Früh

Chocolate Press. 

CHOCOLATE FOUNTAIN!!!!!!!!!!


 


While I did visit Cologne during my second week here, the sheer number of things left to do in the city more than justified a return trip. The day started with a trip to the Museum Ludwig, a modern art museum boasting a very sizable collection of heavily prized Picasso's. While it took quite awhile, I'm glad I was able to see the museum's collections in their entirety. From the museum, we headed to one of the more popular breweries in Cologne where I finally got to try Ratatouille. After lunch, it was time of the most anticipated event of the day, visiting the chocolate museum. While I've been fairly passive to chocolate the schokoladenmuseum has made me a true believer. As far as I am concerned, I did not eat real chocolate until now. Absolutely amazing. The smell of stepping into a fully operational chocolate factory will be one that I will not soon forget. We ended the day with a trip to the world famous Cologne Love Lock Bridge.  

No comments:

Post a Comment