Monday, February 4, 2019

A week I surely won’t forget.


This past week began with heaps of homework to do. I immediately started working on it because I needed to be done with it by Thursday because on Friday we would be going to Rome. Well Thursday rolled around and I was able to complete mostly everything aside from about 3 problems. Considering the amount of homework I had and the time I had to do it, I’m pretty proud of how much I got done. My classes have been very overwhelming as of late. I’m not sure why this semester feels like twice as much work as last semester. I wasn’t expecting a free ride through this semester, but I never imagined this much homework. I pretty much had homework for every single class I’m taking. Nevertheless I did the best I could, and for me sometimes my best is enough. I surely won’t be looking for areas to slack off.

Now onto the trip to Rome. Our flight left Cologne at 6:30 am on Friday. This in itself was an adventure. We managed to take a bus to the airport and get there with just enough time to spare. We had maybe 10-15 minutes left to get in line and board the flight. Then once we landed we had to figure out where we were going. Well we finally get to Rome and we go sightsee and check out all the places we had reservations for. By this point we haven’t eaten and we are already tired. So we go eat and relax for a bit. I’m feeling quite sick and from being on the airplane, my ear wasn’t able to pop. I am already sore from walking and I wanna take a nap. We go back to the room and take a nap and then head out again to go sightsee some more. We encountered tons of hustlers and we felt at risk of pickpockets all over the place. We ventured around Rome for a while, ate, and then decided to head home. The next day we walked around the entire Vatican, had one meal the whole day, and then went to a pub called Julius Caesar. That day was equally exhausting. But the meat of this adventure was in the end. We started off the day with almost everyone split up. We ended up making our way to the Trevi Fountain where we all linked up again. Except for Sid, who spent pretty much the whole day alone and ended up taking an earlier flight than the rest of us. We went to the Pantheon, to the Piazza Navona, and then to the Spanish Steps. By this point my bladder is ready to pop. We head to a bus that’s gonna take us to some catacombs, and about 5 minutes before the bus comes I decided to go to the first restaurant I see and use their restroom. So I walked in as confident as can be and found the restroom and used it. I was so relieved. Right when I came out, the bus was just about to pull in. We hop on the bus (without bus tickets) and ride about 5 minutes. Then we start worrying if we get checked. We don’t wanna pay 50 euros. So we hop off and walk 30 minutes to the catacombs. Then we get there and have only 45 minutes to see the catacombs and leave for the airport to catch our flight. So we see them and we leave to catch the bus (with tickets) that will take us to the train station. We get to the bus stop and wait a moment. The bus comes, and I try to flag him down. However, he decided to look at me and drive right past us. So then we have to walk another 20 minutes to the metro stop and catch a subway to the train station. Once we get there we buy the wrong tickets to the airport. So we have to go an alternate route to the airport. We finally get to the airport with 40 minutes to spare, and we go through security with ease. Super quick. We get to our gate and are so relieved. I cannot explain how difficult this week has been. Rome was amazing, but my goodness was it a nightmare.

No comments:

Post a Comment