Saturday, February 1, 2014

"Everything will end, even the deepest sorrow, once your destiny changes, you too will be free again"

Decisions. I hate decisions. Be it should I cut my hair to emulate a true, suave European woman or should we eat pizza or a pastry for lunch (go with the pastry), I dislike them all, especially when I make the "wrong" choice. 

This is going to be a "get to know Alexandra" blog post. So you can either stop reading now, or if you feel like you might identify with me, keep reading and learn from a plethora of decisions and mistakes I have already made while on this study abroad that I hope to stop you from making yourself. Learn from me kiddos, someone besides myself should. 

Let's begin with the fact that I am terrified of even attempting to speak German for fear of sounding stupid/idiotic/being made fun of by actual Germans. Yes, I have had a difficult time communicating in German to Germans pretty much since day one of being here. I find the pronunciation difficult, and being someone who has always prided herself on being an excellent communicator, it is hard to fail SO miserably here. Germans as a whole in my experience are decently nice, to say someone from New York City perhaps. For this born and raised, smile at everyone, engage in idle grocery store conversation Texas girl, they are not friendly. My host family is very kind, warm, and welcoming, and for this I thank God. I was raised in a warm, open home, so I am use to feeling this type of atmosphere on a daily basis. I say this and it makes it sound like all Germans are bad or mean, that is absolutely untrue. You just have to grow a thicker skin and not take everything personally, which is the biggest struggle I have faced here these first few weeks. I am hoping to adjust to this more efficiently as time progresses, but not lose my own kindness along the way. It will be a balancing act, and I hope to succeed sooner as opposed to later. 

My second mistake has been to assume that everyone in the program knows who I am, what I stand for, and how I react in situations. Fortunately, I grew up in a big city in Texas, so I am not use to having everyone know my name, family, parent's occupation, and dirty laundry. This has been helpful in life, because it has taught me to learn how to present myself to new people and converse without any previous knowledge of the individual or their background. I am a member of a Catholic Sorority (Kappa Theta Beta) that is based at St. Mary's Catholic Center in College Station and have been a member for three years. Over these years I have established deep, meaningful relationships with many confident, understanding, and kind women who I am blessed to have as my sisters. These women know who I am and understand me and my motivation in life. I have also been graced with one of the most amazing best friends in the entire world. She is the most incredibly wonderful human being on the face of the planet and is absolutely loyal and amazing. She has been my rock since we met in pre-School and we have been inseparable ever since. As great as these bonds I have back in Texas are, they have also left me a little soft to the reality of people and how they behave. I am used to having a rigid support system of people who care about my well-being and want to help me in any way they can. I am also someone who provides support for others and am willing to do things that other people do not want to do to help a friend or acquaintance in need. I live my life in a way that will help and give assistance and service to others. Unfortunately for me, this can lead to being taken advantage of quite easily and having been in the safety of my "nest" in College Station, I haven't really dealt with betrayal or backstabbing or being used by my friends or sorority sisters. 

Engraving on the wall of the Gestapo Prison Museum
When you come into a new group of people that you do not know, you have to take time to get to know them before showing your true self. Since I am generally a shy person at first who warms up gradually to others, I decided to try (try being the operative word) to be as open as quickly as possible, since I would be spending a semester with a small group of people and I wanted to feel comfortable sooner as opposed to later. That being said, it has been difficult for me to really open up to others and show my true self. This unfortunately usually means I come off as cold, distant, “bitchy”, and a bit of a complainer. I feel this is the opinion I may have been proliferating these first few weeks and that hurts me deeply. I am a genuine, kind, caring, understanding, willing to listen and participate individual and I have not come across as such these few weeks. For that, I am endlessly saddened and hope that it is something I can rectify before my time is up here in Germany and Europe.

Often I feel that mistakes have no purpose besides to make us feel guilt and feel down about ourselves and our decisions. Sometimes you have to take a step back after a decision and realize this is not a reflection of my whole person; this is a reflection of part of me. All of the parts of our personalities, ideals, motivations, family history, and experiences shape us, and one decision does not undermine all of the history that we have, it just reshapes it into a new vision of ourselves. Our decisions and mistakes help us to discover fully who we are called to be in life and I think we could all agree they also make life more interesting and challenge our self-view.



Koln Zoo 31.1.14
My take home message to those poor, unfortunate souls kind enough to still be reading this post is that you CANNOT sweat the small stuff so much. Things happen. Life happens. You learn from what has happened and you move one. One moment in time can define your life, either for bad or for good. Let’s choose good. Let’s decide to grow as humans and students together. If we stop growing, we will never be able to reach the Son and that is what really matters in life. My challenge for myself since this is the first day of the new month, February (when did this happen!!) is to be true to myself. To be an authentic representation of my experiences and to live in a way that glorifies good.

No comments:

Post a Comment