Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Vienna

AIB:
Thanks to AIB’s great planning, the Vienna trip was a very fun and relaxing break from our usual class weeks. Looking back, the Freud house stood out to me the most. The tour was very interesting as it is always nice to have additional background information from a guide. We then received even more knowledge on Freud from Wasser’s post tour lecture which turned out to be much more in depth and easy to get into. Although many of Freud’s ideas were pretty out there, he ended up having a huge impact on our modern culture and the field of psycology so I am really glad we got to make that visit. That said, my interests still definitely lay more in hard sciences so the Josephinum and the Narrenturm were also really cool to see. The two almost seem to run together with their realist models. I was slightly worried about being able to handle the sights of all the skin diseases n the Narrenturm but it ended up being very interesting with the help of our tour guide and was not nearly as hard to look at as the pregnancy section of the Josephinum. Other highlights include attending an amazing sounding string quartet and hearing Dr. Wasser sing “I Like Big Butts” (unfortunately not at the same time though).
 






Personal:
There was also a good amount of free time for us to explore Vienna. During this period, I got to visit the albertina art museum. It was annoying though when we walked in, we immediately got denied from some "VIP" type section so I still feel slightly ripped off. But we still got to see some really nice looking paintings. [insert pictures here]. Many were too abstract for me to analyze but the ones I liked best I snuck pictures of. Vienna was a pretty artsy looking city in general. Lots of nice statues and buildings anywhere you wander. Even the subway stations all had some kind of subtle cool design on the ceiling or walls. (Subway pic). The food was pretty expensive at the places we went (other than trusty ole dönner) but the schnitzel and Mac and Cheese -esque dish I had for lunch tasted amazing. Possible because AIB paid for them and free food always tastes better. A few of us also went to this independent movie theater there, Topkino. Not everyone enjoyed it as the movie wasn't exactly what everyone was expecting but I thought it was really funny and was happy to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment