Sunday, February 23, 2014

AIB Fun Stuff



Every week since starting this blog I have said that a certain activity has been my ‘favorite thing so far’ and this week is no different! We started off the school week by going to observe a surgery at the Uniklinik in Bonn. I had high hopes for this particular trip, and it was actually one of the main selling points for me when I was deciding on whether to come on this study abroad trip. I am glad to report that it met all my expectations and more! We all met at the bus stop in the morning to ride together to the Uniklinik. Once we got there, we met one of the doctors who explained everything we needed to know for the day and then we went to change into our scrubs. We then walked out onto the ‘clean side’ to meet up with the doctor who took small groups of us to the various surgery rooms. I really wanted to observe a cardiac surgery since we had just learned about the cardiovascular system in class, so I was pumped when I got picked to watch an open heart surgery. My excitement faded a tad when I found out that the patient was 3 months old and this was her second heart surgery, but thankfully the surgery went perfectly! The surgery was so interesting to watch; the only time I could be taken away from it was when I had to move out of the way for the anesthesiologist. I loved interacting with the doctors and being able to see the cardiovascular system at work was truly amazing! Observing the surgery is definitely something I am adding to my ‘favorite thing so far’ list!
            Another fun activity this week was the Karneval Warm Up Party with all the other AIB students. We got to dress up in our Karneval costumes and learn about the do’s and don’ts for Karneval. At the end of the party, we learned and attempted to sing one of the most popular songs for Karneval called “Viva Colonia”. This party definitely got me super excited for Karneval, which starts Thursday of this week! I can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment