Sunday, February 2, 2014

Ich bin zwanzig



I figured out this weekend that I chose the right country to spend my 20th birthday in. According to my host family, 20th birthdays here are one of the big birthday milestones whereas in the U.S. it’s 21. My host family definitely proved their case on Saturday by making me a very yummy brunch in which they played music, made cupcakes that spelled out ‘Happy Birthday,’ and just went all out to celebrate. If that wasn’t enough, they even bought me a costume for Carnival! Afterwards, Tessa, our two host sisters, and I went grocery shopping for the party. Since it was a rainy day, Tessa and I decided to just relax and watch a movie before getting ready for the party. Then after Skyping my family and dinner, the party began! It was a lot of fun getting to be with a big group of the bioscience kids, especially since we have all grown pretty close in just 3 weeks.
Today was a pretty relaxing day with some of the nicest weather we have had these past 3 weeks! I first meet up with some of the students to go to mass in the Münster. I still cannot get over how pretty the church is even after going to mass there for the past 3 weeks. I’m definitely getting spoiled on all these nice churches here! Afterwards, Tessa and I cleaned up from the party and finished our movie from yesterday. It’s funny to see my host family’s reaction when we watch a movie in English that they are used to hearing in German because the characters’ voices are different and they always say “Oh, they sound so different! I didn’t expect him/her to sound that way.” Overall, it was a great birthday weekend and I’m very thankful for having such a sweet host family and group of Aggies here with me to celebrate!!

No comments:

Post a Comment