Saturday, February 22, 2014

Texas Girl in the Surgery Suite

Howdy!! 

This week we went to visit the Unilink Clinic in Bonn to observe surgeries. I got to stand in on the children's surgeries and speak with the anesthesiologist about what he does during surgery. It was very interesting and informational. The room was incredibly hot since children lose heat more quickly than adults. It was really cool to watch, but it was incredibly hot, I had to leave half way through the first surgery because it was so warm in the room. The anesthesiologist was really nice and was incredibly good at calming down the nervous kids. I was impressed with his ability to take a screaming child and calm them down and prepare them for surgery within about two minutes of interacting with him. I wish I could have stayed for longer in the room, but the mask and the heat were difficult to bear. We also visited the Anesthesia Museum and learned about the different methods of anesthesia throughout the years. The Museum Curator was our tour guide through the museum and he was knowledgeable on everything in the museum which was a really amazing and educational experience. I’m really glad we got to go to the Clinic and Museum!

We had our first Physiology exam this Friday and it was intense. I think we all felt the same way about the test, too many questions with too little time. We had 60 questions in 60 minutes, which made it difficult to go back and recheck answers or even reread the question a second time to get a better grasp of what it is asking. It was difficult to say the least. I am glad that we now know what to focus on, everything. I thought that maybe this semester would be easier since I am not working and only taking 13 hours, but it seems that the semester is going to be just as difficult as all of the others. I am kind of regretting coming on this trip because I feel bad that I cannot help financially with my education while I am here. My parents continue to tell me that it is not a big deal, but of course I still feel horrible not being able to contribute. I am trying to enjoy the time I have left here and I am looking forward to Karneval and my road trip through Stuttgart/Munich/Miltenburg on the weekend!


Until next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment