Sunday, February 9, 2014

"You are a light of the World. A city built on a hill-top cannot be hidden."

Today will be 4 weeks in Bonn, and I cannot believe it has been this long! It feels both like I just got here and like I have been here for a long time.

This week we went to a Concert at The University of Bonn, it was the Messa Da Requiem by Giuseppe Verdi. I absolutely enjoyed the concert, and it made me miss playing the oboe!! Afterward a few friends and I went out in Altstadt (old town Bonn) to a few bars for drinks. It was a really nice way to spend a Wednesday evening!

Cologne Cathedral at Night
This week we are traveling to Vienna for a few days to see the city and learn about the many medical museums and exhibits available in Vienna. We will also visit the Sigmund Freud house and have a lecture there from Dr. Wasser about Sigmund Freud and psychoanalysis. I am extremely excited for this experience, and I cannot wait to see Vienna!

This weekend I stayed close to Bonn, venturing to Cologne for some shopping on Saturday with my roommate from Penn State, some of her friends, and one of my friends. We had a really good time getting souvenirs and shopping for ourselves. We ended the evening in an Irish pub, where we watched soccer and rugby with the local Irish/Scottish population of Cologne. It was an incredibly fun day and I was glad to get to stay home in Bonn to rest and recoup this weekend before the adventure of Vienna.
Zach and I at the Irish Pub in Cologne


I went to mass today at the Munster in the center of Bonn by myself and it was a really wonderful experience. I always love when people want to come with me to mass, but I also really enjoy having a quiet moment with God all by myself. I sometimes feel that when people accompany me to mass that I am trying so hard to make them like it and not feel left out or confused, that I have the opposite effect and make mass seem stressful. I am very glad to share my faith with others, but sometimes, a little me and God time is just what the doctor ordered. Today in the readings they talked about being the light of the world. “In the same way your light must shine in the sight of men, so that, seeing your good works, they may give the praise to your Father in Heaven.” I really love this image and since I am going to Vienna which is known as the “City of Dreams”, I am going to try my best to show light to my fellow program members and all those I interact with this week. It is an especially interesting week, because tomorrow, Monday, February 10, 2014, my host brother Robin is going to get his results and see if he was accepted to the University of Berlin, or if he will have to take a test to gain entry. Fingers Crossed for his acceptance!! Until next time! 

Moritz helping me study Biochemistry at Dinner 

No comments:

Post a Comment