Monday, February 10, 2014

Weekend in Belgium!


This weekend Shannon, Melissa, and I went to Belgium to visit our friend Alice! After class on Friday we took the tram to Köln and had a couple hours there before our train to Brussels. We had a nice lunch at an Italian restaurant and then went to a fancy coffee shop with a huge menu. We relaxed there eating gelato and sipping chocolate espresso while working on our signals homework until it was almost time to get on the train.

Coffee in Köln
            We were shocked at how nice the train ride was. It was spacious, with big comfy seats and a table (perfect for doing our fun signals homework). There was also a lovely sunset outside the window and in no time we had arrived in Brussels! Alice had planned to meet us at the station by bus, but a building on the way to the station caught on fire and none of the buses were running through there. Fortunately a nice friend of hers came and got us in his car. Apparently in Belgium you greet each other with a kiss on the right cheek. We drove through the city and saw some highlights from the car and then got dropped off at Alice’s kot (where students live). Her room was adorable!
We dropped off our stuff and then went out to get a traditional Belgian meal at a restaurant called Antoine. Antoine is supposed to be the best place to get Belgian fries. We waited in the cold in a very long line (it’s a very popular place in Brussels) and then Alice ordered for us in French, so our huge arrangement of food was a surprise. When we got our food we took it to the café across the street and got famous fruity Belgian beers to go with our food. The café was playing Tomorrowland music, which was awesome and very Belgian. Our meal was basically two huge cones of fries, a variety of delicious meats, and beer: very Belgian and very delicious!

Getting dinner at Antoine

After dinner, Alice showed us some highlights in the city center of Brussels by night. We saw the Royal Palace, which was beautiful and huge. The bus drivers at night were crazy, and we were practically flying all over the bus as we careened around turns. It was so exciting and we couldn’t stop laughing! I could already tell a difference in the personalities of the Belgians compared to the Germans. The bus was full of conversation, which caught us a little off guard after being in the silent buses in Bonn. It is my impression that the Belgians are more laid back and open than the Germans. It was a refreshing change of pace because it reminded me of home and it was a nice atmosphere to be in.

Royal Palace
Royal Palace gate

The most amazing sight we saw that night was the “Grand Place” which was a beautiful square with incredible architecture on every side. It seemed to be a popular spot for locals to meet up as well as for tourists. We also went by the Manneken Pis, which is a tiny fountain of a boy peeing. Apparently the statue boy is dressed up with different costumes at different times of the year. After walking around the city center, we started looking for Delirium, a bar that offers over 2000 different beers. The bar was huge and packed and we met some people who gave us advice about what to do while we are in Europe. Then we took a cab back to Alice’s kot and went to bed.



Manneken Pis

On Saturday morning, Melissa, Shannon and I explored Brussels on our own while Alice went to class. We had some insane waffles with ice cream on top! We met up with Alice at her University and ate a traditional Belgian meal for lunch. I’m not sure what it was or what it was called but it was delicious! Then we got our stuff together and took a train to Namur, the beautiful old city where Alice was born. My favorite part of Namur was the citadelle and the history behind it. Alice was an excellent and very knowledgeable tour guide and she also translated the little historical markers into English for us.
Waffles!
Citadelle 
From inside the citadelle wall

Terrorizing the peasants below from the citadelle
View of St. Peter's cathedral and sunset from the citadelle
Walking around the citadelle

 Next we went to the “House of Desserts” which was just as amazing as it sounds! We got a platter of all different kinds of little cakes and Belgian hot chocolates. Alice’s cousin lives in Namur and joined us for desserts.
House of Desserts

When we were done, Alice’s step dad picked us up and drove us to Thy-le-Chateau, the village where Alice’s family lives. He referred to me as “the famous Tessa” when we met, so I guess he has heard plenty of stories from Alice’s adventures in Texas! When we arrived at her house, we met her family and got a tour of their home. It is such a beautiful home; staying there was like being at a resort! We are so lucky for their hospitality. We all hung out in the living room and had drinks and Belgian meats and cheeses before dinner (a traditional thing to do there). Then we had an amazing dinner made by Alice’s mom and I tasted rabbit for the first time. Just like everything else I ate in Belgium, it was delicious. After dinner we played a fun card game with the family and then just hung out and listened to music until we couldn’t keep our eyes open any longer.

Hanging out at home

On Sunday morning we were still full from all the food we had been eating, but that didn’t stop us once we saw the big breakfast waiting downstairs. We went to a cute church down the road for mass. The singing was really beautiful with nice harmony. The people at the church were very sweet and friendly and after the service Alice showed us around and then we walked back to her house. The sun had come out and on the way back Alice gave us a little tour of the village. I especially liked getting to see the old castle. Now in the daylight, the view from Alice’s house was incredible. I still can’t believe how fortunate we are to have gotten to stay there.
Castle in the village


We ate lunch and played games with the family and then packed up our stuff and got ready to leave. I felt conflicted by my happiness from such an amazing weekend and my sadness to have to leave so soon. I really liked the atmosphere that I felt from the Belgian people. It’s something you can’t really explain. And even though I had only met Alice’s family the day before, I had heard about them from her for so long, I already felt so close. Also, since Alice really had become part of my family when she stayed with us, I felt like I was also part of her family. Alice’s mom does not speak much English, and I do not speak French, so I really didn’t get to express to her just how much gratitude I feel for everything she did for us this weekend, and also for treating me like part of the family. Despite speaking different languages, I could feel so much love in that household and it was a blessing to be part of it. I decided that I am going to try my best to learn some French so when I go back to visit later on we will be able to converse a little better. I miss Belgium and Alice and her family so much already but I am so thankful for the wonderful memories from this weekend!



My Belgian Family


No comments:

Post a Comment