Monday, February 24, 2014

Blog Post Pertinent to AIB Shenanigans

So this past week, we had the fine opportunity to observe surgery at the medical hospital in Bonn. The students broke up into pairs and were randomly assigned to a surgical room. I somehow ended up getting to see Urological procedures which, I guess out of all the things I could have ended up seeing, was probably the least interesting sounding, but I still managed to learn a lot and definitely had a good time. The anesthesiologist that I was paired with had plenty to share with us about the process, or art, of anesthetizing the patients and making sure they were in a deep enough sleep to not feel pain, or move, but also not a deep enough sleep that it would take them a long time to wake up after the procedure. All of this anesthetic information proved to be a great segue into our activity the next day, which was visiting the museum for the history of anesthesia. The most interesting exhibit at the museum, in my opinion at least, was the iron lung. This might have been because that is what I was responsible for giving a presentation on, or it might have just been because it was really cool beans. Either way, I had a great time learning about it both before and during our visit to the museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment