Sunday, February 16, 2014

Free Time in Vienna

            On Tuesday our only real free time was for lunch. We struggled to find some place inexpensive and ended up spending a lot anyway so we could get the full “Viennese” experience for our first meal there. Yet again I made the mistake of ordering water as my drink (thinking I’m saving myself money) and it ended up costing more than a glass of wine. It wasn’t even sparkling water! After dinner we were all exhausted and fell asleep fairly quickly.
            During our free time on Wednesday I went to the Albertina art museum. I was drawn in by their impressionist exhibit which they boasted featured Monet and Picasso. I absolutely loved this exhibit. Monet is one of my favorite artists, and I also just love impressionist artwork. We also saw an exhibit of woodcuts from the 1500’s. I had never seen anything like this and it was really interesting to get to see the video about how they were made. I especially liked that many of them depicted images from Greek mythology, which I have always found really interesting. After The museum I went to a small theater that showed independent films, because they were showing one “in English” that evening. (It was actually in Chinese with English subtitles.) I wasn’t sure what to expect but seeing the movie was actually a ton of fun.

            On Thursday I celebrated Galentines day with Melissa and Shannon by going to Café Demel. This was so fun and fancy! We got chocolate cakes and hot chocolate. Yum! Then we went back to the hotel and got dressed up for the concert that night while watching the Olympic figure skating.

No comments:

Post a Comment