Sunday, February 16, 2014

Vienna Austria

Personal

During my free time in Vienna I went to the Albertina Art Museum. My favorite exhibit in the museum was the Monet to Picasso Batliner Collection. It featured paintings from the period of Modernism and my favorite artist in the collection was Picasso. Another exhibit which was really interesting was the Chiaroscuro Woodcuts of the Renaissance. These pieces were from the sixteenth century and were made by cutting a piece of wood for the black lines of the piece and then supplementing it with one or several color tone blocks. After going to the Albertina, I went to a local cinema which featured independent films. At first I was skeptical about going to see a independent movie but after seeing the movie I actually really enjoyed it. The movie was called Lost in Thailand and it was a comedy in Chinese with English subtitles.

AIB

The highlight of my trip to Vienna was attending the concert at St. Anne's Church. After attending the concert in Bonn, I thought that the concert in Vienna would be similar. However the concert was completely different. It was a a string quartet and the venue of St. Anne's Church was extraordinary. The incredible thing was that we were attending a concert where they played Mozart in the city where Mozart composed most of his works which not many people can say. Another thing I enjoyed was going to the Narrenturm. This was the first building ever for specifically mentally ill patients. On all the walls were various defects and diseases. Some of the defects and diseases were quite disturbing and some of them I had no idea existed. Imagining some of the patients who attended there is endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment