Sunday, February 23, 2014

Observe a surgery, then get back in time for tea

The highlight of this week was definitely going to the Uniklinik and observing surgery. I observed three surgeries on young children. One was to move the urethra and the other two were inserting a long-term catheter under the skin of leukemia patients. The surgeries were a little bit hard to watch. The room had to be kept especially warm since they were operating on children, and I started feeling a little faint during the first surgery. The best part was getting to talk to the Anesthesiologist. His job was really interesting to learn about, and I also loved seeing him interact with the kids. Some of them started out upset about going into surgery, but he made it less scary by letting them play games on his iPhone while he set everything up or by pretending they were in a spaceship. The surgeries were interesting, but the ones for leukemia just made me really sad.
            On Tuesday we went to the museum of anesthesiology. The exhibits were interesting and I really liked that we got a tour from someone who actually contributed to the history. I also really enjoyed getting to hear all the students present about one part of the museum.

            On Wednesday we had a Karnival warm-up party. I was planning not to go because I had a lot of studying to do, but I was glad I made time. I am in Germany and I want to get the most out of it. We learned some of the traditions of Karnival and what to say, and then we learned the song Viva Colonia! It was a lot of fun to spend time with all the AIB groups and I wish we could do more stuff all together. I am so excited for Karnival!

No comments:

Post a Comment