Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Snowboarding in the Alps

This weekend was awesome sauce!!!!!! I finally got to go snowboarding in the Austrian Alps, the thing I was looking forward to the most. The snow was so beautiful and we were so lucky because it started snowing as we were driving up the mountain on Friday evening!!! Perfect timing :) This was the largest ski resort I have ever been to, covering a total of five mountains. So many trails to explore. Unfortunately I learned that snowboarding in the Alps is very different from America, so the first day took some getting used to the new terrain... Meaning that I fell quite a lot. I eventually got the hang of it and then it was super fun, even if I did slide down the hill on my backside every so often. The best weekend trip ever!!!!!

On the program coordinated event side of things, Monday morning we got to go to the University clinic and observe surgeries. It was a very interesting experience and I was very grateful to attend it. I now know why I don't want to be a surgeon though... very interesting but not for me. I'll stick to designing things that will make the jobs of surgeons easier. I got to see a tumor removal and two hip replacements. The first surgery was the most interesting for me because we could see the entire body cavity open. The surgeons made a large incision across the abdomen right under the ribs. We got to see the small intestines and the stomach as the surgeons reached the pancreas. The next day we got to see the museum of anesthesia which was also very interesting but I definitely preferred to observe the surgeries. I enjoyed seeing the original tools that were used in the beginning days of anesthesia and surgery. Going to this museum and seeing the surgeries made me very grateful that I am in good health and live in the 21st century.
All together this was a very enjoyable weekend!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment