Sunday, April 14, 2013

Soccer and sun


So yesterday (saturday) we had the opportunity to go to a genuine Bundesliga football match between Dusseldorf and Greman. It was definitely an experience. It reminded me of Aggie football games but it was a little bit more aggressive. So, as all of you know, the student section of Kyle field is the best student section of college football ever (there's no argument haha). But even though we're super supportive of our team there's always an echo in the stands to "keep it classy ags". This is something I'm proud to be apart of but there is no such echo in the football fields of Germany. People get really intense about their teams and will defend them at all costs. I couldn't understand all of the cheers but they sounded pretty aggressive (but German is a harsh language so that could also be why.....ha owell). We snacked on pretzels and bockwurst mit brot (the popcorn and hotdogs of Germany) during the game and cheered on Dusseldorf. We watched the game in Dusseldorf (40 minutes north of Bonn by train) so it seemed appropriate to adopt them as our team. The game came to a close and it was tied. I was pretty excited because I was still under the impression that all football games here had shootouts if there was a tie. But I was wrong.... 90 minutes of play finished and everyone stood up in a wave. I was so confused. I was thinking, "Y'all...it's tied...where are you going??" It was the most anticlimactic thing ever. Maybe I need to watch a wider variety of sports but where I come from, someone has to lose. But no, not here. I started to walk out of the stadium with an unfinished feeling. Don't get me wrong, the game was still insanely fun, but I just wasn't expecting an ending like that. We got back pretty late and I had to start studying. Only 3 weeks left of school here in Bonn and we have 5 exams to get through.
But on the bright side, I've been sitting outside catching up on all my blogs. And I'm proud to say that my cheeks are rosy because of the sun. Hasn't happened in a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment