Friday, April 19, 2013

How to ruin a pair of feet in two hours

Last week I reluctantly took part in the Bonn half marathon.  Prior to the half marathon, I had not ran in over 2 months.  Back in the day, however, I was an avid runner. During my freshman year, I would run 6-8 miles a day so I figured my body had banked some running ability.  Unfortunately, that's not how the body works.  The morning of the marathon, I woke up, had a few slivers of meat and cheese to tide me over, and made my way to the bus stop with about 30 minutes to the start of the race.  The bus came quickly, and I was promptly kicked off.  I had purposefully left my wallet along with my bus pass at our house as I did not want to worry about losing anything and normally the bus drivers don't check for passes.  I sprinted back to the house and grabbed my wallet and made it back to catch the next bus.  Time was not my friend.  Prematurely exhausted, I got on the next bus and, naturally, the bus stops halfway to where I was supposed to be going to meet my fellow runners.  The marathon route had cut through the bus route.  I hopped off the bus and ran about a mile to our meeting point.  Frustrated and tired, I finally found my friends just in time to run another 13.1 miles.  Luckily, the race crew was releasing runners in heats and all the heats were backed up, so I got about half an hour to rest standing in line.  My heart began to race as we moved closer and closer to the starting line.  "10,9,8...3,2,1, GO!" the announcer exclaimed in German.  I blasted off the starting line and took an early heat lead, a move I would sincerely regret about an hour later.  Camera men snapped pictures of me, hoping to get a good shot of the insanely fast starter.  Had I had kept up that pace the entire race, the Kenyans may have been humbled by defeat.  Unfortunately, I could only keep that pace for about 30 seconds before fatigue slapped me back to reality.  I was able to gut through, and run the first 10k, but I was in survival mode the rest of the race.  During the 2nd half of the race, I was passed by mothers, small children, grandparents, and one legged men. When the race finally ended, I felt as if I was beaten with a club.  My entire body ached so much, I located the nearest cab and emptied my wallet paying the fare to get home.  With the saying no pain, no gain in mind, I believe I walked away a better, stronger person  (Literally walked because I walked half the race).

No comments:

Post a Comment