Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Bavaria and the snowy Alps: Garmisch

Let's just say, skiing isn't my thing.
This is my kind of ski slope. Flat and devoid of people
After Munich, Garmisch!
With a gorgeous train ride, full of snow and Les Misérables.

With the Texan option of an XXL burger  made of 600 grams.
Our next stop Easter Weekend was Garmisch, a nifty little town, tucked into the German Alps. Early Easter Sunday we caught a train and made it in town just after noon. Most people hit up the slopes after we checked into our quaint hostel, but I stayed off the mountain for a day. While Allison and I checked out the town, we found some fun sights.
It's a jackalope! Except that it's a wolpertinger
We also found our very own Texas restaurant, but sadly it was so popular that the whole restaurant was reserved. After Pizza Hut and chess at the hostel, we called it a night.

But the next day was skiing! Bright and early, we had already rented and gathered our equipment, so we headed out to the slopes.

And the Alps taught me that I don't know how to ski.




In Colin's words,"I've never seen somebody crash so often
that his ski's got air as he fell."
And I fell a lot. And I'm happy I wore a helmet. And I still don't understand what Pizza Pie means to this day! But skiing was fun! I got really good at going fast, and crashing without any bodily harm. And it was worth it for our lunch at the top of the mountain.
But if I had a euro for every German kid that skidded beside me and laughed while I was face down in the snow.
It was quite a day, sweating and melting and skiing and laughing. We made it back to the train in the afternoon and headed back to Bonn.
Until our train schedule disappeared - our connecting train was behind the 1st train (that we were riding on), and we had the choice of getting off at the proper stop or a stop earlier. Luckily a kind South Carolinan helped us out. Usually he's a English teacher for a German school, but he was our hero that night. He talked to the conductor and had the train company give us free taxi vouchers. We took a taxi from Mainz train station to our front doors in Bonn, and the whole 170 km taxi ride for free! 

About 2 hours later we made it home from an Easter weekend I won't forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment