Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Snap, Crackle, Pop

That's about what it felt like when the doctor ripped out the patients hip joint. Today I spent the whole day observing augury at The Bonn hospital. I was lucky enough to see two major surgeries that lasted from 8:00 this morning till 4:00 in the afternoon. The first was removing a tumor in the femur and putting in stints inside the bone to stabilize it. They also added bone to put in with the pins. It was your typical surgery to observe, standing on the side, staying out of the way, and getting the occasional update.  After the doctor wrapped the first surgery up we stopped for lunch. After a quick bite to eat he sent me with another doctor to get ready for the next surgery. I didn't know what awaited me but I'm sure glad I stayed. The new doctor had me wash up an be completely sterile. All the way down to scribing fingertips and going through a series of three arm washes. Making sure not to touch anything with my hands or forearms or the process would start over. Then I walk into the room with my arms up, so not to touch anything. By now I'm thinking this guys going a little over the top or a kid who's going to stand in the corner and watch.  Next thing I know I have a surgery scrub on with two layer of gloves and  have to keep my hands on the patients table or on my chest as a safety measure. They got me a little stool and as the procedure began I'm standing there holding the patients leg.  Seeing them cutting into the leg with me so close and actually part of it was like a shot of adrenaline through me. An hour or two passes with me still at the foot of the operation bed. The doctor had cut around the joint preparing it for removal. As I picked up the leg he ripped the joint out and it felt like his leg wasn't even attached to the rest of his body.  From there the doctors put in a polyurethane cap and started preparing to put in the rest of the prostheses. After some trial and error they found the right ball and joint. It was great to able to be so involve in a surgery. It was something I will probably have to wait many more years to experience again.

No comments:

Post a Comment