Monday, April 1, 2013

Rheinsteig Hiking!

Hiking to me was a process of walking on narrow muddy roads in the mountains, trying to reach the top, but hiking on Saturday was more challenging and fun than I had ever expected! First-time intense hiking was a wonderful experience.

The first few hours we could not find the trail we planned to walk on. Instead of walking along the river to the south, we wandered to the east. Our "translator" friend Phillip needed to stop by several places to ask local residents how to reach Loreley Rock. So after 2 or 3 hours we finally turned around and got on the right path.

We fought thorns and greeted several spiders on our way down to the right trail. The leaves completely covered the ramps, and it was hard for my to find places to stabilize my feet. After I got home I discovered a lot of bruises and scratches, but all that was totally worth it!

Around 2pm we finally found Loreley Rock, where the beautiful lady sang and the sailors crashed their boats. It was a perfect view of Rhein River, and I could imagine what the spring will be like with the blue river and colorful forest. We saw a train running along the Rhein. The passengers in the train could also enjoy the scenery from another perspective.

We went back to the town where we started the hike instead of our original destination because we could not make it there in 2 hours, before sunset. The cold weather did not stop us from visiting a Italian ice cream cafe, where I tried Waldmeister-flavored ice cream. The light green ice cream is a plant based dessert only available in spring. It actually tasted like spring to me and it became my new favorite! Thanks to Philip for recommending this flavor!

My legs are so sore right now, but everything was so fun that I forget about all the pain. I hope I could go back again before we leave Germany in May, when all the flowers bloom and the sun shines!


No comments:

Post a Comment