Thursday, April 18, 2013

Dr. Schmitto Cubed.

When I came across news that a spot for the cardiovascular medical excursion in Hannover, I scratched out all consideration and raised my hand to attend. You see, it's a known fact that medicine is where my heart resides and that I have some sort of orientation/preference, but I also believe that small happenings are the reasons we sometimes change our minds. With that put into perspective, I am very satisfied to have gone on the cardiovascular trip. It interrelated a lot of aspects fruitful for a student aspiring to be a physician. 

Cliff, Carlos, and I sacrificed the tour of the cathedral in Aachen for our departure to Hannover. The trip was a bit longer than expected but that only made way for enjoyable conversation. Carlos has become a great friend and mentor amidst this study abroad experience, so it was great to have gotten to know Cliff better as well! Anyway, the night crept in and we all went to bed for the next morning's early rise. We were to meet Dr. Jasmin Hanke at 7:20 a.m. Fortunately for us, we have become quite the transportation gurus. We had no problem arriving to Medizinische Hochsule. There, Dr. Hanke embraced us with a smile and quickened gesture. It's no joke that doctors are speed walkers. We rushed to Dr. Schmitto's office where each of us were handed "Dr. Schmitto" white lab coats by Dr. Schmitto himself! Such a guiltless tease that was. We followed them both into a room full of medical students and professors that were discussing the overnight cases and diagnosis. A variety of students and doctors presented projections and elaborated on the details. It was great to hear (although it was all in German) that everyone knew (or seemed to know) exactly what they were presenting. It was like a mini showcase.

Next, Dr. Hanke led us to the break-room, also known as Heaven. There was an abundance of fluids and coffee was, of course, my repetitive selection. (no shame here) We walked down Station 15 to sit at a table next to a window. Dr. Hanke sat with us (took a break from her busy schedule) and lectured for more than an hour. If I had to state a moment of preference, it would be this. She explained the physiological and surgical procedures involved in LVAD implantation. She drew a lovely picture of the heart to show us exactly what she said. She also touched a humanitarian point that many of us seem to sometimes forget. Actually, it's my absolute favorite aspect of the medical world. Trust. She explained that the most important relation you can have with a patient is the bond of trust. Once you gain their trust, they will openly give you the information necessary to alleviate their pain-whatever it may be. It was a great reminder that after all, it is THEIR life they place into our hands. Dr. Hanke not only spoke these brilliant words of advice, her actions followed through. How so? After her great lecture, we visited several patients on the floor. It was obvious that upon seeing her, they immediately felt at ease. Their faces lit when she talked, gave orders, or asked questions. And there we were, soaking up the vibrance. We even met one of the patients that we later observed in surgery.

And then, surgery. Dr. Hanke directed us to a medical student, Nefali, who was to take us to the OR for valve replacement and bypass observations. We all slipped into our scrubs and made our way to a station. It's always a thrill to see a beating heart before you. That's life at its most raw. Crazy. I also took the liberty to walk in unnoticed steps to the medicine counters, creep behind the anesthesiologist and watch him plot, stand around the surgeons. The whole nine-yards.

Lunch provided a much needed break! The guys and I didn't bother taking off our white coats throughout the day. Actually, we didn't want to. You could say we were cheating the system by a few years, but it was so glorious. Afterwards, we made our way back to our station where we rejoiced in more coffee and prepared for the last surgery to observe. With a slight sense of connection to the person who was to lay before us for the next few hours, it is fair to say that surgery took on another meaning. Cliff eagerly explored every corner of the process and Carlos and I would shift around to see as well! Success came after a "short" three hours. Within that time, I also had the pleasure to talk to Nefali and get to know her better. She told me about her journey from her homeland in Greece to Hannover. She was on her clinical rotation cycles and had little knowledge about which track she was to take on for future specialization. It was slightly comfortable for me to hear that. As her, I think that such a decision should come naturally. I also had the opportunity to share MY story with her. I told her about my transition from California to Texas to Germany. She didn't know how the medical school process in the US functioned, and I was happy to share all I have learned. She was also fascinated at the idea of me studying psychology and neuroscience with pre-medicine. The diversity thrilled her, and that's something that few understand. I was happy (:

Lastly, I had a short head-start back to the station for a ladies-room break before our return to Bonn. Unaware that the elevator is sectioned off within the floor levels, I wounded up in a secluded (not meant to be entered) portion of the hospital. With my broken German and helpful workers, I found my way back to the main floor where I was stopped by some patient's visitors (they had flowers and balloons!), who were looking for directions themselves. They also mistook me for a physician which was humorous, slightly improper, but wonderful! Coffee number 97452718930384 was taken in the break room where the guys and Dr. Hanke met me up. We went over to give our heartfelt (literally) thanks to Dr. Schmitto and Dr. Hanke as well! They were so pleased at our satisfaction and marvelous time spent and offered to have us back the next day! Or in the near future...

I was very, very pleased to have indulged in such an excursion. The many learnings will be carried on to my next trips! And I am more excited and motivated now than ever before!

That's all folks!

~Jess (:

Dr. Schmitto, me (:, Cliff, and Dr. Hanke! Good times :D


No comments:

Post a Comment