Thursday, April 4, 2013

Nothing and everything in particular.

An Easter Weekend post in underway, but first, I would like to map out a few observations that I've made since being in Europe. A lot of them are actually opinions, but well, they're the thoughts that stream through this massive head of mine. Here they are:

  1. Since our Spring Break travel to Italy, I have had the lasting impression that they are the friendliest people ever. I remember being lost quite a few times and strangers (who overheard our frustration, I'm sure) would direct us to our destination.
  2. I don't like to be a tourist. I like to be a traveler. I may be a planner about a whole lot of things, but when it comes to visiting a new place (of course I intend to see the major attractions), I mostly wander. I enjoy finding hidden gems. Paris proved that once more.
  3. Germans are the most fashionable Europeans. From trench coats to boots to scarves to eyewear to hair styles...Germans don't let the colder weather ruin their appearance.
  4. As a coffee lover this is an important observation: each country has their own way of drinking coffee. In Austria, the coffee houses were ideal for mingling and meetings over coffee. On the contrary, Italy took espresso shots at the bar and proceeded with their day.
  5. I cannot stress how much I love public transportation. I can get anywhere. To another town, city, country. You name it, and I'll be there without a problem.
  6. Little towns such as the one we visited today (Aachen) are so incredibly charming. They give me the fuzzy, warm feeling that dollhouses used to. They're like bite-sized joys. However, I could not live in one for long. I need more...variety.
  7. I love that everyone can so easily ride bikes...to any place. It makes me so sad that I have such a hard time keeping my balance :(
  8. Stereotypes are almost non-existant. Maybe I say this because I am more integrated now or maybe it's the opposite, but I find it hard to see the judgments attributed to specific people. To further explain on this, Germans don't follow the blonde hair, blue-eyed nature. Everyone is so different. Maybe I say this because I am a great observer and find distinguishing traits in everyone. I don't know. 
  9. Jobs are taken seriously. Whether you work at Mc Donald's or are a cardio-surgeon, the job at hand is well-done. It's great to see people do things with a sense of fulfillment. I even get the accomplished aura.
  10. Top two picks this far: Rome and Germany. Barcelona, I look forward to you!
I'm looking forward to tomorrow's medical excursion with Carlos and Cliff! They're great guys, and I'm positive that we'll learn a whole lot and have a great time in Hanover. On that note, I have a huge room to myself-with a huge window and nice view! Lucky me (:

Hugs,

Jess (:

No comments:

Post a Comment