Friday, April 5, 2013

Days Go By

The days are sadly winding down for the time we still have here in Bonn and in the great country of Deutschland. In a sense, I really miss home but at the same time I could stay here for an entire year. I mostly miss my family and my friends too of course. I also miss the fact that I could drive around in my car whenever I wanted to back home. It's just so much more convenient besides the fact that it's not as economically sensible as the bus and tram system.

Since I've been here I feel very independent and haven't really been ready to leave. But I think it hit me when this past weekend came and went very fast.
Friday was the start of our Easter Break and four day vacation from school. My friend Alyssa came and visited from Granada, Spain where she is studying abroad. She arrived on Saturday morning and I told her to take the bus from the Cologne airport but for some reason she didn't listen and took the train instead. I didn't know this until she called me at 11 AM saying she thought she went too far past her stop. I was immediately confused and said to her, "Wait, you're on the bus right? I told you to get off at Bonn Hbf."
The entire time she was on the train from the airport which didn't make a connection to the main train station in Bonn. Instead it goes through Beuel. I wasn't familiar with this train but I told her to get off and go back the other way towards Beuel Bahnhofsplatz. After navigating her carefully past each stop over the phone, she told me she had reached the Beuel stop. So I told her to wait there and I would meet her.
I got off at the bus stop and found my way over to the Beuel main station and once I saw her standing there, I immediately started running towards her. It was a pretty climactic meet-up. We embraced each other in a hug for a good while because I hadn't seen her in over 3 months.
It was great to see a familiar face from back home; especially such a close friend that I've missed. From the bus stop we went to my house and dropped her bags off.
It was quite cold outside which is strange for this time of the month because it should be warming up by now!
I took her into town and we got a bite to eat. Later that night we went to the Rheingarten for a show where they were playing house music.
The next day Alyssa, Jordan and I went to Cologne for the day and went to the zoo as well as the Hard Rock Cafe. It was a great day even though it was still cold. The rest of the week we just chilled and she came to school with Jordan and I almost everyday. I enjoyed her company and I think after her visit it was a reminder of back home.
She left Saturday morning, the day before Easter. I've always been with my family on Easter so it was strange not being with them this year. But nevertheless, it was a very relaxing weekend here in Bonn.

No comments:

Post a Comment