Monday, January 23, 2017

Woche Eins

It is weird to think a week has already gone by. Time is going by so quickly and I am beginning to realize how little time we have here. It's also weird to think that we have been here for only a week. I have experienced and learned so many things that it feels like I have been here for much longer. I can't imagine how different I will be by the end of the program. 
I am quickly learning to navigate a new city, and on a smaller scale a new country. I am becoming familiar and mostly comfortable with a new mode of transportation. I have tried several new foods including different types of tofu. So far there is only one type of tofu that I do not like. I am also rediscovering some of my favorite foods that I ate as a child. I have also forgotten self restraint when it comes to eating said food. I have also found that I am appearing more German every day that I am here and that people are treating me like one. People are approaching me while at the train station thinking that I am a Bonner and able to give them directions to where they need to go, which, sadly I can't do quite yet. I can complete must food orders and retail transactions in german with the occasional hand signaling. I have even been told by a friend back in Texas that I am dressing more like a German than I do an American.
I am pushing myself out of my shell to make new friends and experience as much as I can. I do need to remember to take breaks and there so I don't burn out. It's already proving difficult to focus on school work here, when I could be doing a million other things. I am really interested in all my courses so far so that will hopefully help keep me motivated. I'm really excited about the design project that we have to do. I was really struck by what was said in the meeting about designing a medical device. The device has to be safe, comfortable and easy enough so the patient will actually use it, and it must be something doctors want/need. If a device fails in any of these criteria then it will not be successful. It seems like common sense yet is easily forgotten and incredibly difficult to achieve. I'm nervous to see if we as a group will be able to do this and if I will even make a contribution to the project. 
I have really enjoyed the little bit of traveling that I have done in the past week. There are so many beautiful things to see and fun things to do here. I found Koblenz a lot fun and absolutely stunning. On the train ride back we sat next to a lovely couple who gave us several day trip ideas. All the places they mentioned where around Bonn and mostly along the Rhein. The wife has worked in 25 countries and the husband 24 and they both agreed that Bonn was one of the best and beautiful places in the world to live. That alone makes me feel honored to have the opportunity to call this city home even if for only a few months. I am really excited for my upcoming trip to Amsterdam. I honestly just want to wander around and stare at the architecture and people watch. If every week is as cool as this past week has been I don't think I could go back to living my boring in comparison life in Texas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment