Sunday, January 15, 2017

First Few Days in Bonn

I feel like I'm in a completely different world, but it's starting to feel normal.  When I first arrived in Bonn, I was a little overwhelmed with everything - the foreign language, freezing weather, new home and host family, and unpacking my two week's worth of clothes for a four month trip.  Then I got over the jet lag, slept for a while, and am loving it.  I met Regina, my host mom, and Elisabeth, my 17 year old host sister, and they are both incredibly nice.  Regina is an amazing cook, and I have been treated to some traditional German breakfasts and dinners.  All were delicious!  I'll only describe my favorite one so far so as not to make anyone too hungry: pork goulash with gnocchi, carrots, and bread.  Then a chocolate nougat for dessert.  Both Regina and Elisabeth speak excellent English - so communication isn't a problem - and they are teaching us some German.

Our first full day in Bonn was spent in an orientation meeting and then touring a vineyard in the Ahr region.  (I've attached a picture of part of the vineyard below).  It was a lot of fun, and the drive there was beautiful because everything was covered in snow.  Later at night, Claire and I went out and played in the snow like true Texans (she's from Florida but whatever).

Today was an awesome day.  This morning, Claire, Kanci, my host mom, and I went to our village's (we live in a little village right outside Bonn) church for German mass.  It's always an amazing experience going to mass in another country because I know everything that is happening, I just don't know the language.  Then Claire, Kanci, and I went with Kanci's host parents on a two hour hike in the forest behind our houses.  This was my first time hiking, and I loved it!  The woods were beautiful, and the weather was nice and cold.  Then we ran into a castle...in the woods behind our houses...which was so cool.  (Another picture attached below).  I'm looking forward to stumbling upon more castles while I'm in Germany.  This week classes start...wish me luck! Tschuss!




No comments:

Post a Comment