Sunday, January 22, 2017

Week 1

I am done with my first week in Germany! I have figured out how the train system works and I am learning my way around Bonn better with each passing day. I think I am settling in well. My host family is really nice and has been very helpful with everything.  Even their cat has given me a warm welcome.

Classes have been going well, and I am excited for all of the upcoming events this semester. All of the classes seem very interesting, and I look forward to learning as much as I can while I am here. I am also learning a little bit of German every day. Hopefully, I will learn enough to bridge the language barrier better. It is quite the culture shock when everyone around you is speaking a language you don't understand. (Especially with restaurant menus. I am still pulling out my Google translate app to decipher all of the different ingredients...)

I am also excited about all of the traveling I have done so far. Before this trip, I rarely even went on vacations, let alone explore Europe in my free time. This weekend, we traveled to Heidelberg. We saw a castle and visited a pharmacy museum. Then, we went to a Lindt chocolate store. For dinner, we ate at an American diner (which, ironically, did not accept American credit cards) but it was still interesting to see what home looks like from a different country's perspective. Also, this was my first time staying in a hostel. It was actually really nice!

Heidelberg Castle

Group picture in Heidelberg

Playing in the snow

I am making new friends and memories that will last a lifetime, and it was only the first week! I still have a lot to learn, see, and do, and I am excited to see what this adventure has in store for me. Overall, it has been a great first week!

No comments:

Post a Comment