Thursday, January 19, 2017

First couple days as a Bonner

I’ve only been in Bonn for a couple of days and I find myself saying “America sucks” more often than I probably should. I love America, but the way of life in Germany is a lot more relaxing and convenient than America. Although I’m still in the “honeymoon phase,” so hopefully as I stay here longer I’ll find something I think America does better.  

My favorite part of the trip so far was getting to stay with Hilde for the first few days. I didn’t really get the chance to miss my family because she always made me feel so at home. She also has pet chickens, so getting to play with them and feed them was very entertaining. 

On Sunday, I went to the catholic church in Bonn-Munster with the two stone heads in the front. The church was spoken in German and I’m not even Catholic, but I really wanted to experience a church in Bonn. I sat next to an older lady who kept glancing at me every time I didn’t respond to the minister. There was one point in the sermon where everyone is supposed to shake hands with their neighbors. Of course, me not being Catholic or being able to speak German, I had no idea what was happening. So for about ten seconds, me and this older lady have this uncomfortable stare before I realized her hand was out for me to shake it.  


Overall, I’m glad I made the decision to come on this trip. I’m sure there will definitely be times where I’m going to miss my friends and family a lot; however, the new experiences I’m about to embark on will be worth it in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment