Monday, January 9, 2017

Pre-Germany

My name is Rachel Dedas, and I am a biomedical engineering major.  I leave for Germany in two days.  Right now the emotion I feel the most is nervousness.  I signed up for this study abroad last March, so I've known for a while that I would be spending a semester abroad.  For that semester and a half I had to look forward to this trip, all I felt was excitement.  I couldn't wait to immerse myself in a new culture, travel, and live with a German family.  Then, as soon as my finals ended this past semester, I realized it was actually happening.  I am actually going to leave my family and friends for four months to live in a foreign country.  I started to feel the nerves.

I am still excited of course.  I'm really looking forward to the medical device design component of the trip where we work with a German biomedical company, and I can't wait to see surgeries in the German hospitals.  I think I'm most excited about traveling on the weekends though.  I have a whole list of countries I would like to visit before returning to America, and I really hope I'll be able to see them all.  This semester I will be living with one of my good friends, Claire Collins (also BMEN), and our homestay family - our host mom, Regina, and host sister, Elisabeth.  I can't wait to meet them!

Some of my goals this semester are to become comfortable traveling in foreign countries, become more independent, succeed in my classes, make new friends, try new food and other cultural activities, and learn some German.  I am sure this semester will be my favorite semester of college, so I am going to make the most of my time in Germany.  Next blog post I write I'll be there!

No comments:

Post a Comment