Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Pre-Germany Experience: Interview with my Parents

Growing up in dual army household, I've had more international experiences than most non-military families. In spite of the 12years I've lived in Germany, my parents are not convinced that their youngest child is prepared to venture the world with out them.

Dad: " Why Germany? You've already been there for most of your life." As a Biomedical Science student for Veterinary medicine, I wanted to keep my options open for international jobs, which means I need to brush up on speaking German. Logically, I knew it would be more comfortable for myself and my parents since it is familiar territory. But I also needed to reconnect with my childhood and prepare myself for new experiences.

Mom: "Did you pack everything? Got your phone? Wallet? Military I.D.? Make sure your passport is in your carry-on?"  At this point, I've pretty much packed and repacked about eight times total. Initially I didn't have anything in my suitcase, then I had too much.  So currently I'm about to board with a half empty 3 foot suitcase, and a carry-on with several just-in-case items.

Mom:" Don't go over there and get fat." Dad: "Bring me some Kinder Eggs."  This pretty much speaks to the one thing I am most excited about. I missed German food so much. The best part is I'll have room in my suitcase for all the candy.

Mom/Dad: "Did you call your brother? Where are you staying? How are you getting around? Get a train pass." The one thing I'm concerned about is probably the fact that I'm staying with a Host-Family. I am fortunate to have friends and family who still live in outlying areas of Germany, but they all know I tend to keep to myself. That in itself will be my biggest challenge, but I suppose I'm as ready as I'll ever be.

No comments:

Post a Comment